17 April 2015
Some 400 people are feared dead after their boat capsized on Monday in waters about 120 kilometres south of Italy’s Lampedusa Island, according to survivors of the latest shipwreck in the Mediterranean. If the reports are confirmed, this would bring this year’s death toll to nearly one thousand. So far, 142 people have been rescued and eight bodies recovered. According to the Italian Coastguard more than 8,500 people have been rescued in the Mediterranean since 10 April.
UNHCR, as well as ECRE and other NGOs have repeatedly called for the EU to step up its efforts to save lives in the Mediterranean. “Our calls for EU search-and-rescue efforts in the Mediterranean have fallen on deaf ears. Apart from the outstanding efforts of the Italian navy, the EU continues to fail to act. A similar tragedy can be happening right now”, said ECRE’s Secretary General Michael Diedring.
The Italian navy’s search-and-rescue operation, Mare Nostrum, which saved more than 100,000 people since it was established following the shipwrecks off Lampedusa in October 2013, was suspended at the end of 2014 and has not been replaced by a mission with a similar capacity to save people. In its place, Frontex operation Triton is working on a monthly budget of €2.9 million, a third of Mare Nostrum’s budget.
“Europe has scaled back search-and-rescue capacity based on the flawed argument that such operations were acting as a ‘pull factor’, attracting more migrants. But the reality in the Mediterranean is exposing that fallacy, since the numbers of desperate people seeking to make it to Europe are only going up,” said Gauri Van Gulik, Deputy Europe and Central Asia Programme Director at Amnesty International.
People fleeing war and persecution undertake these life-threatening journeys because they do not have another way to reach a safe place. “We could put smugglers out of business immediately if the EU would create legal channels for refugees to reach Europe”, Diedring said.
Answering to questions from the press and having refused to comment on the alleged death of 400 people, European Commission’s Spokesperson Natasha Bertaud said “today the European Commission has neither the funding nor the political support needed to create a European border guard system, which would carry out search-and-rescue missions”
The European Commission is due to present a “migration agenda” in May. According to Human Rights Watch “Some of the proposals, while cloaked in humanitarian rhetoric about preventing deaths at sea, raise serious human rights concerns (…) These include setting up offshore processing centers in North African countries, outsourcing border control and rescue operations in order to prevent departures, and increasing financial assistance to deeply repressive countries like Eritrea, one of the key countries of origin for asylum seekers attempting the sea crossing, without evidence of human rights reforms.
Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, stated: “The response to the repetitiveness and magnitude of these tragedies cannot be apathy, but it must be an urgent and comprehensive solution to this calamity”
For further information:
- The Guardian, The Guardian view on the Mediterranean boat people: Europe cannot evade its humanitarian obligations, 15 April 2015
- The Guardian, Migrants can’t be left to die in the seas of Europe, 15 April 2015
- BBC Radio 5, Your Call, 15 April 2015
- Irin News, Migrant crisis in the Mediterranean: What can be done?, 15 April 2015
- UNHCR, Latest deaths on Mediterranean highlight urgent need for increased rescue capacity, 15 April 2015
- Save the Children, 400 missing, including many children, as boat capsizes on route to Italy, 15 April 2015
- ECRE, Again, again and again: The never-ending tragedy in the Mediterranean claims the lives of 400 people, 15 April 2015
- Human Rights Watch, EU: Intolerable Inaction Costs Lives at Sea, 15 April 2015
- Amnesty International, Mediterranean refugee and migrant crisis: UN points to 50-fold increase in deaths amid European government inaction, 15 April 2015
- European Parliament, Schulz on the latest tragedy in the Mediterranean, 15 April 2015
- European Commission Midday Press Briefing, Immigration – Mediterranean Sea: Q&A, 16 April 2015
- European Commission, Remarks by Commissioner Avramopoulos on the situation in the Mediterranean at the LIBE Committee in the European Parliament, 14 April 2015